Answered By: Ask-a-Librarian
Last Updated: Jun 12, 2018     Views: 5575

If you have damaged a book or other library item, or if you have lost it, the library will charge you the original retail price of the item.  You will not be charged an overdue fine.

A staff member can tell you how much the item costs.  If you prefer to provide a replacement copy yourself, you may, but it must be an identical item in new condition.  The replacement copy must be the same edition of the title as the damaged or lost book, and it must be the same format (hardback for hardback, for example).

Please note, you cannot provide a replacement copy for books with red B & T label, sometimes referred to as express books. If this type of book is damaged or lost, you must pay the original retail price of the item. 

You can pay for a damaged or lost item by cash or check in any branch.  If you want to pay online by credit card, you may not see charges for the item until you let a circulation staff member know that an item has been damaged or lost.