Answered By: Ask-a-Librarian
Last Updated: Aug 09, 2017     Views: 29363

If you have lost a book or other library item, or if the item is damaged, the library will charge you the original retail price of the item.  You will not be charged an overdue fine.

A staff member can tell you how much the item costs.  If you prefer to provide a replacement copy yourself, you may, but it must be an identical item in new condition.  The replacement copy must be the same edition of the title as the lost book, and it must be the same format (hardback for hardback, for example).

Please note, you cannot provide a replacement copy for books with red B & T label, sometimes referred to as express books. If this type of book is lost, you must pay the original retail price of the item. 

You can pay for a lost item by cash or check in any branch.  If you want to pay online by credit card, you may not see charges for the lost item until you let a circulation staff member know that an item has been lost. 

Save the receipt for the payment of a lost item.  Then, if the item turns up later, you can return it to any branch within six months and receive the difference between what you paid and the maximum overdue fine