How do I renew my library card account?
Library cards must be renewed annually. MCPL wants to be sure that your contact information is up-to-date and that any fines or fees are paid. If your card expires, you will not be able to check out materials, place holds, or renew items you have checked out beyond the card's expiration date. You will also be unable to use the library's public computers. Read more about why library cards expire annually.
You can renew your library account from your account online.
- In the new view of My Account: After signing in, click on Renew My Account in the summary box on the right.
- In the old view of Your Account: After signing in, click on Review My Account. At the bottom of the page summarizing your account, you'll see the expiration date of your account and a link to renew it. You don't need to renew your account until just around the time it will expire.
If you owe money, pay all fines and fees. If you pay online, please wait a day or two to renew your account, because we must manually post your credit card payment to your library account.
We send a renewal reminder by email a month before your card expires if you receive email notifications from the libraries.
Update contact information on your library account as follows:
- If you have a change of mailing address, proof of address must be shown at your branch. Read more about library cards and acceptable forms of proof of address.
- Email addresses can be updated on our Email Registration Form.
- Phone numbers can be updated by calling Ask-a-Librarian at 240-777-0001.
For help, call Ask-a-Librarian at 240-777-0001 or ask your branch. We do not renew library card privileges via chat or email.