How do I renew my checked-out items?
You may renew most library materials. You may renew an item three times, and each renewal period is three weeks. Express DVD’s may also be renewed three times, but their initial borrowing period and each renewal period is one week.
There are three ways to renew materials:
- Renew by bringing items with you to any MCPL library;
- Renew by calling 240-777-0007, our always-available automated renewal line. PIN must be six digits or fewer to use telephone renewal; or
- Renew from My Account online at our website.
You will not be able to renew items if you owe $25.00 or more in outstanding fines, lost charges, and/or overdues. See Paying Fines or Fees.
Interlibrary loan materials from Marina may be renewed 3 times, but a staff member must perform the renewal for you. You can call Ask-a-Librarian at 240-777-0001, or ask at any branch.
Some materials cannot be renewed, including:
- Items for which others have placed hold requests.
- Items that have already been renewed three times.
- Express books. These current bestsellers are not eligible for renewal after the 3-week borrowing period.
- Interlibrary loan items from OCLC are not eligible for renewal.
- Items borrowed on an Educator account.
Read about renewals of e-books and downloadable audiobooks.