How do I renew my checked-out items?
You may renew most library materials. You may renew an item three times, and each renewal period is three weeks.
There are three ways to renew materials:
- Renew by bringing items with you to any MCPL library;
- Renew by calling 240-777-0007, our always-available automated renewal line; or
- Renew from Your Account online at our website.
You will not be able to renew items if you owe $25.00 or more in outstanding fines, lost charges, and/or overdues. See Paying Fines or Fees.
Interlibrary loan materials from Marina may be renewed 3 times, but a staff member must perform the renewal for you. You can call Ask-a-Librarian at 240-777-0001, or ask at any branch.
Some materials cannot be renewed, including:
- Items for which others have placed hold requests.
- Items that have already been renewed three times.
- Express books. These current bestsellers are not eligible for renewal after the 3-week borrowing period.
- Express DVDs. These entertainment DVDs are not eligible for renewal after the 1-week borrowing period.
- Interlibrary loan items from OCLC are not eligible for renewal.
- Items borrowed on an Educator account.
Read about renewals of e-books and downloadable audiobooks.