What are acceptable forms of identification and proof of residency to apply for a library card?
Two types of identification are required to open a library account: a photo ID and proof of residency.
Identification supplied by an accompanying adult is sufficient for a child under 13. For 13- to 18-year olds, photo identification is required, and proof of a parent's address may serve as proof of the teen's address.
Identification that satisfies both requirements
- Maryland Driver’s License
- Maryland Identification card
Examples of Photo ID
- Valid US passport
- Valid US military identification card or discharge record (DD-214)
- Out-of-State driver’s license, with translation into English, if required
- Valid Out-of-Country passport
- School ID
- Employee or contractor photo ID card issued by a local, state or US government agency
Examples of Proof of Residency
- Selective service card
- Vehicle registration card or title
- Voter registration card
- Utility or telephone bill
- Checking or savings account statement
- Property tax bill or receipt
- Mortgage account or proof of home ownership
- Residential rental contract (apartment lease or other rental of real property)
- Check with printed name and address