How do I return downloadable e-books and audiobooks? Can they be returned early before they expire?
You don't have to return the downloadable titles. Your access to them will expire at the end of the lending period, and there are never any fines associated with them.
However, sometimes people want to return them before they expire in order to download new titles or to make the titles available for other borrowers. Here are instructions for early returns:
Maryland Digital eLibrary/OverDrive E-Books:
- How to return Kindle e-books early.
- How to return OverDrive PDF and EPUB e-books early using Adobe Digital Editions.
- How to return EPUB ebooks from mobile devices.
- Disney Online interactive books cannot be returned early. You may wish to choose the shortest loan period for these titles, which is 7 days.
- Open PDF e-books cannot be returned early. You may wish to choose the shortest loan period for these titles, which is 7 days.
Maryland Digital eLibrary Audiobooks:
- Return MP3 audiobooks early with the up-to-date version of the OverDrive Media Console app on your portable device (iPhone, iPad, Android, or Windows Mobile):
- Open the Overdrive app on your device.
- Locate the item on your app "Bookshelf."
- Touch the "plus" sign that appears beside the title that you would like to return and delete.
- Choose the "Return/Delete" button.
- Early return of OverDrive MP3 audiobooks can also be done if you downloaded them with a Windows machine using Overdrive Media Console 3.2.2 or later. (Mac users do not yet have this option.) Select the title you would like to return in Overdrive Media Console. Click the Delete button to display the return and delete options. Then click Return/Delete to both return the MP3 audiobook and delete it from your computer. (If you click Delete instead, the title will be removed from your computer, but not returned to the library.) See these instructions with screen shots.
- Early return of OverDrive WMA audiobooks is not possible at this time. If you think you will listen to them quickly, you might wish to choose the 7-day as opposed to the 14-day or 21-day loan when you check them out.
- In the OneClickdigital Media Manager, go to the Checked Out tab. Under the title, click on the button that says "Return Now."