Where can I donate or recycle computers and other electronics?
Where to donate used computers
- The Information Technology Foundation, which works with Montgomery County students to refurbish computers. Only laptops and flat-screen monitors are accepted. 301-929-2190.
- Capital PC Users Group Project Reboot places computers with local schools and social welfare organizations.
- Phoenix Computers in Rockville redistributes computers and software at low cost to low-income and disabled individuals and families as well as non-profit, educational, and charitable organizations.
- MacRecycleClinic in Silver Spring.
- The Lazarus Foundation, based in Columbia but with a storefront in D.C., channels old computers to area non-profits. Call 410-531-8485. Software and peripherals are also accepted. Lazarus volunteers run workshops on computer repair and provide basic computer training to those who receive the recycled computers. The address for the Lazarus Foundation is 10378 Eclipse Way, Columbia, MD 21044.
- Goodwill, We accept all computers, printers, monitors, scanners, keyboards, computer speakers, and mice. All of your computer and computer-related items, in any condition, can be dropped off at one of our attended Donation Centers.
- National Cristina Foundation Provides computer technology to people with disabilities, students at risk and economically disadvantaged persons. System must have hard drive, monitor, keyboard, and mouse, plus licenses for any installed software. Matches donors with local project partners.
Another list of electronics reusers, by state, appears on the Electronic Industries Alliance's Consumer Education Initiative website.
How to Recycle or Dispose of Electronics
Montgomery County's Division of Solid Waste Services accepts small consumer electronics (including computers and peripherals) for recycling at the Solid Waste Transfer Station. For more information, please see How to Recycle/Dispose of Electronics.